23 November 2013

Senators Singles: Alvin Crowder 1933 Goudey

SENATORS SINGLES:
Now THIS card is my oldest Curly W Card

I had previously stated in my very first "Senators Singles" post that the card I was showing then was my oldest Washington Baseball card.  At the time I started composing that post it was true, but while I was dilly dallying and just outright procrastinating on scanning that card I went on a spending spree on Ebay. I got a bunch of stuff mostly cards that had FREE Shipping.

This "new" Oldest card might not be the absolutely oldest Washington Baseball card available, but it is currently the oldest I have and will probably hold that title for a while longer. It is a 1933 Goudey Gum card number 122 Alvin Crowder.

Alvin learned to play baseball while in the army during World War I and was nicknamed "General" after Major General Enoch Crowder who was best known for starting the Selective Service Act of 1917. Alvin was a pitcher who had a 10 year career in the Majors with The Senators, The Browns and The Tigers. Alvin was also known as "Yankee Killer" for his success against the Yankees especially Babe Ruth.

So here is the card:
1933 Goudey 122 Alvin Crowder Senators
(Front and Back)

1 comment:

Hackenbush said...

Very cool. Love how they used the word "twirled".