31 March 2022

So Long Mr. Zimmerman Employee Number 11

 

Ryan Zimmerman The Nat's first ever Draft Pick (well as the Washington Nationals) announced his retirement on 15 February 2022. Then at the beginning of the delayed Spring Training opening the organization announce that they will officially retire his Employee Number 11 Jersey Number on 18 June 2022. Two other Nationals wore number 11 in 2005 before Ryan wore it, Jeffery Hammonds and Junior Spivey, but it is Ryan who is known for wearing that number, previously he was Employee Number 25.
2006 Fleer Baseball 228 Ryan Zimmerman Washington Nationals
(I have a copy of this and/or maybe the gray/silver version,
but couldn't find my copy in time to scan it for posting)


An image I created using an old CheckOutMyCards logo and a Getty Image of Ryan. 

Here is one of my Fave Zimmerman cards. I wish it was available in a non-chrome version but it was apparently only for Chrome. This card was made several years before the Nats ever wore an Expos Throwback uniform. As far as I know they have only worn a Montreal Throwback uniform (The powder blue away uniforms) the one time. They have worn retro Homestead Grays uniforms plenty of times. Not a very flattering image of him, but it is better than some sketch cards.

2010 Topps Chrome Baseball: National Chicle CC49
Ryan Zimmerman Montreal Expos

Here is an oddball Z-Man Card I like: It is a die-cut standee so it is very fragile. I think I might have wrecked it some after I scanned it while removing it from the scanner.
2009 Enterplay MLB Fan Pak #60 Ryan Zimmerman Washington Nationals Standee

Now here is what will be Ryan's last career era card.
2022 Topps Baseball 296 Ryan Zimmerman Washington Nationals


4 comments:

Matt said...

Arguably the greatest MLB hitter to come from the University of Virginia!

bbcardz said...

That 2022 Topps Zimmerman card was the first card of 2022 that I pulled. Nice sunset card.

CaptKirk42 said...

bbcardz,
"sunset card" I wanted to use that term for this post, but couldn't remember it.

Fuji said...

Totally missed this post. Thanks for sharing the link. I was pretty stoked to see Zimmerman receive a card in 2022 Opening Day and of course the flagship set. And glad to hear the Nationals are retiring his jersey number.