19 July 2013

Frankly Friday: 1970 Mini Posters

1970 Wall Decorations
During the 1960s and 1970s Topps seemed to love oddball inserts much like they love to overdo today. One of those inserts for 1970 was a 24 set of "mini" posters that measure 8-11/16" x 9-5/8" and were inserted in the regular wax packs. Since they are just thin newsprint thickness paper and folded to fit the packs they tend to tear at the folds. So far I am fortunate in the two I have with little or no rips, my standard two Washington Franks, Howard and Robinson which are featured in this post. Mr. Robinson of course represents the Orioles. It seems the only other Senators past, present or future in this 24 "poster" set were Denny McLain (Tigers), and Don Mincher (Pilots).

I seem to recall as a kid my brother had a copy of the Frank Howard poster pinned to the bedroom wall of our childhood home. At the time we were sharing the bedroom that I would eventually be the sole occupant of when my brother decided to move to the basement . I have no idea where that copy of the poster went. Anyway here are images of the posters for the two Flagship Franks of this post series.
1970 Topps Baseball Mini Pin-Up Poster Insert
22 Frank Howard Senators
(Front and back)

1970 Topps Baseball Mini Pin-Up Poster Insert
12 Frank Robinson Orioles
(Front and Back)

These mini posters are just a  fraction too large for my scanner to capture the complete width of them. This image of the Frank Robinson poster I moved over slightly so that the copyright line can be seen on the right side, the Frank Howard poster has that info under the "card" number on the lower left side.

Washington Franks mentioned this post:

Other SeNators mentioned in this post:
Denny McLain
Don Mincher

No comments: